Sunday, April 19, 2009

In Bruges

First off, "Bruges" is pronounced "brooge," as in it rhymes with "scrooge." You better drop the "es" or sound like a total idiot when you mention the movie's title. Not that I personally made that mistake. No way. Not a chance.

In Bruges is a great movie, by the way. "Don't hold it against me," is a common refrain that Americans in the movie say by way of admitting they're citizens of the United States (why do I now picture all Americans traveling abroad as constantly apologizing that they're American?).

But the movie could also say that about having Colin Farrell star in it: "Yes, Colin stars in me, but please! Don't hold that against me!" And you shouldn't because Farrell makes this movie. He's hilarious in it. He's got some of the movie's best lines and he delivers them like the half-drunken Irishman he probably is in real life, accompanied with some of the best facial acting I've seen in recent memory. If the sight of Farrell sickened you from the half dozen or so movies he's made this past decade, push that illness aside and give the man and his unibrow another chance. You won't be disappointed.

Even if Bruges is a shithole.