Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Star Wars: The Old Republic

It's official now. Lucasarts and Bioware are teaming up to make a new Star Wars MMO, entitled oddly enough, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I tell you, I will buy this when it coms out, sight unseen, because I'm a Star Wars and MMO whore. Putting those two together is like mixing chocolate and peanut butter, which just so happens to be my favorite candy bar.

But I'll buy it and play it with trepidation. George Lucas has forever betrayed my trust. My initial fan boi love for the prequel trilogy has long been replaced with anger at the artistic opportunities he missed. I'm ready for George to fade into the background while some young, creative soul takes over the franchise.

In many ways, this MMO could hint at the Star Wars along the horizon. George like to mix his tentacles into every Star Wars project, much like Stan Lee used to do with older Marvel movies. But MMOs are too big for even George to micromanage. And that can only bode well for fans of the series and MMOs.

So yes, I'll buy it and play it. It can't be any worse than Galaxies and I played that steaming pile a shit for more than a year. Galaxies bungled players as jedi on release. I'm most curious how Bioware handles that Pandora's Box.