Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Fall Worth Regretting

Last Friday, I found out that a former colleague of mine resigned his position in the district for personal circumstances that made it “difficult for him to continue his leadership position.” The details of his fall from grace aren’t as important as the consequences: potential career ending job loss.

To say nothing of his family. My friend was married with two little kids. At the very least, the marriage is now strained. It might even be broken.

I find this revelation tremendously stressful and disappoining because Scott (not his real name) was an outstanding school administer. He was the best assistant principal I ever worked with. To this day, I haven’t encountered his equal. Scott was one of those people who possessed a rare combination of professional abilities; he exuded leadership qualities, possessed outstanding interpersonal skills, and worked tirelessly to advance the causes of the students under his care. Everyone liked Scott, staff and students alike. He was the kind of person that made everyone around him feel at ease, relaxed, appreciated.

I’m just stunned at the speed of his fall and the circumstances surrounding it. If someone had told me to predict the most likely candidate for an on-the-job extra-marital affair, Scott would have literally been the last person I would have thought of.

And now he’s essentially ended his educational career, at least in the immediate surrounding area. He and his wife will likely split. Two innocent children will now have to endure the pain of divorce. I bet Scott is wringing his hands right now, regretting everything that led up to this point. I bet he wishes he could do it all over again, erase the affair and rewind back to the point where he was a beloved father, respected community member, and admired principal. He sacrificed nearly everything for the excitement and allure and heat of something new. I’m sure he found the price steep.

So I regret this loss of a man as good and fine as any of us, withhold judgment of what he did, and wish him the best for whatever comes next.