Monday, January 12, 2009

The Great Outdoors

Coming off the worst summer break in recent memory, Wifezilla and I planned and booked for a week stay in Rocky Mountain National Park. Our camping skills are too rusty to dare rough it. Instead, we’re shacking up in a cabin, complete with cable TV, full bath, and an actual bed. Perchance when the girls are older we might shoot for the tent and backpack thing. Until then, we wuss out.

Wifezilla and I haven’t been to the Rocky Mountains since before Hallie was born. That was more than eight years ago. So my heart filled with boyish glee when I booked the cabin last night. Unlike last January, I have a summer vacation to not just look forward to, but actually daydream about. I can’t wait to hit the trails again. I’m realistic about the girls’ hiking abilities, especially their stamina. But Rocky Mountain National Park offers short and long hikes alike and if we take it slow and include a lot of resting breaks, I’m confident we can hike up my favorite glaciers.

Summer break can’t come soon enough.