Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hard Ain't So Hard

As promised, I played a Rock Band 2 song on Hard this past weekend. The experience was a lesson in mindset. Just a few weeks ago, I exclusively played songs on Easy; I had convinced myself that Medium was too hard. But after some experimentation with seating and foot positioning, I started rolling through Medium songs. Motorhead’s Ace of Spades reared its ugly head once again and I managed to plow through it on Medium, though with a low score.

On a whim, I fired up Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger on Hard and five starred it with a score in the 90 percentile. Clearly, song difficulty eclipses game difficulty in terms of required skill parameters. Rock Band 2 lists song difficulty via a five star award system for each of the instruments. Especially difficult songs receive five devil heads instead of the stars, like Ace of Spades on drums.

I’m going to practice a bit more on Medium, but plan to play more and more on Hard. Depending on the song and the speed, Expert may just be a drum beat away.