Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Pitt

I downloaded and played The Pitt this past weekend. In general, I enjoyed it. Even more than I did the first DLC for Fallout 3, Operation: Anchorage. But in both cases, I think the downloads are overpriced for the amount of content they provide. If a consumer buys both expansions for $20, that's roughly a third a cost of the original game but not even close to a third of the content. I think it took me longer to play through The Pitt, but it still went very fast. No more than four hours I guesstimate. That's a stark difference from the original's deep and substantial offering.

Yes, yes, $10 for four hours is a good value, you pay that much for a two hour movie, not including the popcorn and babysitter, blah, blah, blah. I just can't subscribe to that argument here, mostly because I'm not comparing the expansion to an evening at the movie theater, but to the game itself. And the bottom line is I kinda feel shortchanged by Bethesda at a $10 price point.

The next expansion promises to raise the level cap to 30, but despite the prospect of more leveling fun, I may not pick it up. At least not before first verifying it offers some weighty gameplay.