Thursday, March 5, 2009

I AM Conan the Librarian

Ok, so you have good reason to doubt. After all, I proclaimed the exact same thing last year, but ended up crashing and burning.

I assure you, gentle reader, this time I really AM Conan the Librarian. Last week, I interviewed for the library position of the new middle school opening this fall. I made the initial cut and was invited back for a second interview yesterday. Of the two, my second interview went best. I was mostly coherent and knowledge for both, but I really nailed my second.

And so this afternoon, I got the official call from the principal. WOOT!

I'm especially stoked about this because I taught middle school kids for nine years before becoming a librarian. I know them well and have a unique appreciation of their quirkiness. I think I like middle school kids because there's a part of me that's just as immature as they are. I've been at an elementary school for the past three years, and though I've learned a lot, I know I can't make a career out of managing a primary-geared library.

But James? Cannot lightning strike twice? Might your new position be cut from underneath you, just like last year?

In a word, no. My new principal held off hiring for nearly two weeks waiting for the Human Resource department to approve her open positions. They won't cut the position because they just got done approving it a few short weeks ago. It should all be official by the middle of the month.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to drive the illiterate before me. Cue the brass and war drums.