Wednesday, December 19, 2007

HD DVD Player: Taking the Plunge

I’m getting an HD DVD player for Christmas this year. I don’t think a clear winner has emerged in the HD and Blu-ray format war, but I couldn’t think of anything else to ask for and the HD players are significantly cheaper than the Blu-ray. I realize that’s probably a bad reason to jump into high def DVD, but what are ya gonna do.

Apparently, both players convert normal DVDs into near-HD picture quality. I don’t buy a lot of DVDs, but I do rent a ton. And Netflix offers movies in both formats.

For now.

I doubt they’ll long support both formats, unless the market share splits evenly between the two players. I would think Sony would have an edge with the PS3 having the ability to play Blu-ray. But the PS3 came out of the gate over-priced and if HD players can retain a price edge over Blu-ray, they might tip the scale in their favor.

***Edit***

I just visited Best Buy and Sony's Blu-ray player is priced the same as the Toshiba equivalent, $299. Seems the format war is alive and well.