Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Rocket Launcher = Pig Squealing Fun

Kammris, my Blademaster in Hellgate: London, duel wields two swords, has a charge ability that hurls him directly into the fray, and has a devastating whirlwind aoe attack that tears into swarms of mobs. He's also got a single attack move that doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but helps heal him over time. Kammris can take on multiple melee units at once and emerge undamaged. He has considerable more trouble with ranged units, but tactical use of line of sight goes a long way towards his survival. All in all, he's fun to play.

But on a whim last night I rolled a Marksman. Within minutes, I had a fiery rocket launcher in my grubby hands. How do I describe the audible glee I felt at shooting flaming death into mobs of zombies from range. Sometimes, the direct hit from the launcher was enough to kill the zombie outright. Other times, the launcher missed its marked by a few feet. But that's when the fiery aoe kicked in and from a safe distance, I watched handfuls of demons and undead writhe and scream as they unsuccessfully tried to shamble from the burning ring of fire. And they burned, burned, burned in that ring of fire!

Good stuff, that.

I was cackling so hard at the death I was dealing, I had to explain to nearby Wifezilla the new toy I had found. I think she stopped listening at "rocket launcher."

I did quickly discover that the rocket launcher works great on swarms of normal mobs, but not so well on bosses. No problem. HG: L gives three weapon slot combos that you can change on the fly with F1, F2, and F3. I put a newly found rifle in F2 and switched to it when I happened upon a boss. Clearing trash with the rocket launcher, shredding bosses with the rifle, a good time was had by all.

Err, maybe a good time was had just by me. I don't think the demons or Wifezilla particularly enjoyed my rocket launcher/rifle combo. I do need to finish normal mode with Kammris at some point, but I may continue goofing around with my Marksman for a bit.