Thursday, April 17, 2008

Awakened Sleeping Dragons

X-Play reported the other day that World of Craft, the China edition, recorded one million users logged in at the same time. I know that North America, or at least the United States, has about 10 million total subscribers. I would be curious to hear what their record log in number is. In any case, China is obviously a huge MMO market and probably mostly untapped by the majority of U.S. MMOs.

They also reported that the producers of the upcoming Iron Man movie are concerned about the late April release of Grand Theft Auto IV. With games like Halo 3 shattering peer movie box office revenue, the Iron Man producers expressed trepidation that their demographic may buy GTAIV in lieu of attending the movie.

If I were them, I'd be worried too. I think Hollywood is finally realizing the emerging economic and cultural power video gaming is inheriting.