Monday, December 1, 2008

Call Me Ironsong

Yeah, I gave Lukenbach the surname “Ironsong.” Shut up, it’s cool.

When I hit level 50 last Friday, I steered Lukenbach towards Eregion, the entry zone of the Mines of Moria expansion. I forgot about levels and gear and gold for a time while I got consumed with questing. Before I knew it, I was level 51. I’m now at the gates of Moria and doing a ton of quests that are directly tied into following the wake of the traveling Fellowship. Turbine has done an absolutely stunning job of merging Tolkien’s main storyline into their game plot. One of my most favorite scenes so far has been circling the Black Pool toward a crumbled gate currently being excavated by dwarves. The dwarven miners even comment that the blocked door looks recently collapsed, forcing me to slowly peer back toward the ominous lake waters.

And the loot! I’ve replaced numerous pieces, including a headpiece that not only thoroughly thrashed my old gear statistically speaking, but also looks damn taiiiiight. It’s got a Greek thing going on at the top, but I dig it. Plus, my beard shoots shoots out the bottom, giving me some Cousin It flair.

Volume 2, Book 1 is the quest line just outside the Mines. As I understand it, it’s the precursor to wielding a first legendary weapon. A kin gave me a legendary class slot item, but I can’t equip it until I finish the first Book. I think it’s largely soloable, but we’ll see soon enough.

I also received a quest to track down the most famous pony in fantasy literature, Bill. Seems the elves have caught sight of him wandering well west of the mountains. After I finish Book 1 and get my legendary item, I’ll head out and see about rescuing him.