Monday, December 8, 2008

Fallout 3's Ending

***Spoiler Alert***

I finished Fallout 3 yesterday. Well, the main campaign at least. Even with 50+ hours with the game, I’m left with entire sectors unexplored. I did enjoy the ending, including the final cut scene; it was Hallmark poignant, but moving nevertheless.

My character dying in the very end was fitting with the story as a whole, especially coming off the heels of the father’s death under very similar circumstances. The only problem is the game ends right there! The cut scene starts, the credits roll, the game stops despite large tracts of the Waste I have left to explore.

Sure, I could load a previous save game and continue on my merry way. I just find it curious that Bethesda put a game ending climax to their main campaign in the midst of the most open ended game on the market today. The two seem at odds with each other and as much as I enjoyed the ending, I felt disappointed to be plopped back to the game’s main menu.

Small quibble to be sure because Fallout 3 will be contender for game of the year across platforms. I’ve already rerolled. I plan on playing as diabolically as I can, starting with the nuclear denotation of Megaton’s megaton.

Muhahahahaha.