Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Today Is the Greatest Day I've Ever Known

I have no idea why Smashing Pumpkins are headlining Buzzfest XX. Before the lineup announcement last week, I hadn’t heard The Buzz play a single SP song in months. Evanescence, Chris Cornell, Evans Blue, Fuel, Finger 11, The Buzz plays all these bands regularly. But SP? C’mon. I bought Siamese Dream back in the early 90s. Jeez, that's nearly fifteen years ago. I was vaguely aware of Mellon Collie, but anything made by them past 1995 fell completely off my radar screen.

Maybe it’s a Houston thing and SP gets more play time in other parts of the country. I know The Buzz has Pearl Jam frozen at Ten. They’ll play three songs from that album and occasionally throw in Yellow Ledbetter. That’s it. Dan Jantzen, the afternoon DJ, plays other PJ, but I think that’s because he sneaks in his own CDs and is mercilessly flogged for it.

Could be the same phenomenon with SP. The only SP song I’ve heard The Buzz play is Today. And now they’ve got them headlining Buzzfest XX. I can only roll my eyes when I hear Rod Ryan go on about how excited he is that SP will grace the main stage. Maybe next year they can get A Flock of Seagulls.