Friday, September 14, 2007

You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore

Scepter is to Woody as Emanee is to . . .

Scep is my undead mage, my first horde character rolled waaaay back in January of 2005. Emanee is my belf priestess, rolled a couple of months after the Burning Crusade expansion. Where Scepter is seasoned and dependable, Emanee is flashy and trendy. Scepter, substance. Emanee, surface. Scepter, Bill Pullman. Emanee, Britney Spears. You get the picture.

Originally, I intended Emanee to be nothing more than a vehicle by which to experience the new horde starter zone. But somewhere along the line, Scep got shoved aside and suddenly one day Emanee was at the level cap and raiding Kara, sacred dungeon ground that Scepter dreamed to enter, but had never trod. Weeks later, it’s Emanee who sports the raiding phat lewtz while poor Scep dons crappy 5 man blues and is relegated to money laundering and gold farming for a fashion model who somehow has the capacity to raid.

The poor slob STILL doesn’t have his Frozen Shadoweave set. He’s short the chest piece and unlikely to get that anytime soon. He’s long resigned to the reality of it all. About a month ago, Emanee bilked Scep for everything he had, more than 2k in gold. He took it pretty stoically, like that sap of an apple plant in The Giving Tree. But deep down he suffers the pain of a soul used and abused. I seriously feel for the guy. I occasionally have pangs of guilt as I log him in and wire gold to the waif. At times, I even toyed with the idea of making the princess earn all her own epic mount gold.

But unfortunately for Scepter, I’m a lazy git. And now while Emanee zooms all over Outland at Mach 10, Scep plods along on his Model T equivalent, all the while commiserating with the plight of that mistreated cowboy in Toy Story. “You’ve got a friend in me” whispers Emanee sweetly. Friend indeed.