Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hancock

So Wifezilla and I tried on three different occasions to see Iron Man. Each time we showed up, the movie got pulled at the last minute. The second coitus interruptus occurred to make preview room for Hancock. Wifezilla likes Will Smith and the commercials make the movie look pretty good, so we suckered into going.

Big mistake.

Just to get this out of the way, you've already seen some of the movie's best clips advertised on TV and previewed with other movies. The full version doesn't offer any novelty beyond what was advertised freely.

That wasn't the deal breaker. Neither was Will Smith. He's passable, if not unchallenged, in the role of a jaded superhero who is universally reviled and needed by the public at large. The suck factor is in finding out why he's a superhero. I won't share it here (mainly because I can't make myself regurgitate it), but the revelation is groan-inducing. And the metaphysical mechanics to explain it all are routinely contradicted throughout the movie, mostly to cull some melodrama. In the rush to explain why Hancock behaves the way he does, the movie gets sloppy and then I lose interest and then I get pissed because I'm reminded that I didn't drive all this way to see Hancock, I came here to see Iron Man, the movie the theater advertised to show at 7:20. Jerk offs.

Anyway, save your $10 and go see anything else but Hancock. I can barely recommend it on DVD.

Oh, and I still haven't seen Iron Man yet.