Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shivering Isles Full Steam Ahead

I temporarily shelved The Witcher in favor of the most excellent Oblivion expansion, Shivering Isles. Rather than coast through the expansion with my original character, a heavy armored, sword packing dealer of death, I rolled a new dude. I always make custom builds in the Elder Scroll series because the game's class templates inefficiently double up on skills, rendering the class gimped and ineffective. I made my new toon the yang to my fighter's yin, a class heavy on magic with just light armor and the blade skill for melee.

I'm still not on the expansion part yet. When you roll a new dude, the portal to Shivering Isles immediately becomes available. And since the game scales your foes according to your current level, I could step onto the Isles whenever I fancy. But my fighter dude never completed the mage guild series of quests. So I'm having my new guy do that first. Once he's master of the mage guild, I'll hit the Isles hard.

After that, The Witcher. With school starting school, progress through these games will slow. Just in time for the Fallout 3 release sometime in October.