Monday, July 21, 2008

Pearl Jam Ascendant

The Buzz, Houston's alternative rock station, holds one of my favorite bands, Pearl Jam, in time-statis contempt. Rod Ryan, the morning DJ, openly ridicules them. He doesn't come out and say he hates the band. But the fact that the station doesn't play any PJ after Vitalogy speaks louder than radio-transmitted words.

A few weeks ago, PJ played at some The Who cover concert, the song Rain Over Me. Rod played a clip of it and then proceeded to fawn over it like devoted fan boy. I was shocked that anything positive about PJ was coming out of his mouth. Ever since, the station has been playing a ton of PJ. I used to go weeks without hearing them on The Buzz and just this morning, I've heard three songs. Granted, it's nothing past Vitalogy. Still, that's better than the usual twenty Stinkin Park songs they play in the same time frame.

I should be happy that they're playing more of my favorite bands, but it irks me that they're so excited over a cover song. The clip I heard was good, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't anything that the band doesn't usually do. Rod liked the cover? Well yeah, it's because PJ rocks. If they'd give some of the albums the band has put out in the last ten years a fair listen, they'd realize that.