Thursday, February 14, 2008

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Coming to Theaters in August

From www.theforce.net, Update #4:

Well we've been speculating since the Hasbro meeting and we now have a confirmation. Star Wars is coming back to the big screen in the form of Star Wars: The Clone Wars! Hitting North American theaters on August 15th, the series will then continue with 30 minute episodes on the Cartoon Newtork with repeat airings on TNT. International dates will be released soon.

I didn't ever believe Lucas when he professed he was done making stuff in the Star Wars universe. And I'm even less surprised that his new content comes in the form of an animated movie and TV series. Lucas has often hinted that he prefers digital and animated actors to the real thing. I guess he was sick of those pesky thespians complaining about the lousy dialogue he was making them utter (Harrison Ford famously told George Lucas concerning a Star Wars script, "You can write this sh--, but you can't say it").

So, I guess this is a good thing, though I'm much more interested in the live action TV series I hear is rumored to be in production since last fall. Last I heard, Kevin Smith was supposed to be involved somehow, directing I think. I doubt I'll go to the animated movie, but I'll definately rent it and I'll certainly follow the animated TV series.

I'm still holding out for J.J. Abrams taking over the entire operation and producing a whole new trilogy that takes place after Return of the Jedi. Hell, get Mark Hamill back and have greying Luke garbed in rippling black, kicking ass and taking names like only a Master Jedi can. Mark is at the perfect age to depict a maturing elder Jedi, a seasoned Master at the height of his experience and power.