Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tabula Rasa, I Will Play You Soon Enough

My $15 collector’s edition of Tabula Rasa arrived a few days ago, but work and family have been kicking my ass lately, so I doubt I’ll install and play it till spring break.

I haven’t ordered from GoGamer in a long time, but something peculiar was going on for this Tabula Rasa order. The first time I placed the order, it came back canceled. Something about not being able to confirm my credit card information. I double checked the info but didn’t find a mistake. So I placed the order a second time. Two days went by before the order moved past the “processing” stage. By that time, I was beginning to suspect GoGamer had no intention of selling me the game for $15. They clearly take a hit on their 48 sales to get people to the site to shop; I was beginning to think that they were stalling the order past the 48 hours sale.

But on the third day, the order went through and I received the game Monday. Tabula Rasa has received middling reviews so far, the most common observation being that the game is fun to play but follows established (some might say tired) MMO conventions. Apparently, the crafting system is weak and there is currently no working auction house. But I love that it’s a sci-fi setting. Star Wars: Galaxies and Eve Online are the only two sci-fi MMOs I can think of right off the top of my head, so the genre isn’t exactly that well-represented.