Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Toshiba Throws In the Towel

I don't have any official source since I heard this from the Rod Ryan show (The Buzz) driving into work this morning: Toshiba officially announced it will no longer manufacture HD DVD players.

This isn't exactly surprising coming off the heels of movie studios abandoning the format themselves in favor of Blu-ray. I do feel burned somewhat, though maybe not quite as bad as people who not only bought the player but also a library of movies.

This will get me seriously thinking about buying a PS3. I mean, if I ever want to get a Blu-ray player, for another $100 I could also get in the door of a next-gen console. The sticking point: I can't think of one game I want to play on the PS3. In fact, the only console game I really want to play is Mass Effect and that's coming to PC this May.

In the meantime, my Toshiba plays DVDs in near HD quality. In fact, I can't discern a visual quality difference between Lost on DVD and Lost broadcast in HD. So it's not a total wash.

I'll just keep telling myself that.