Monday, February 11, 2008

Through the Looking Glass

Wifezilla and I watched Charlie die last night. He did so heroically, made all the more poignant because Desmond told him exactly how it would happen. Charlie forged ahead anyway. Though Charlie's death was dramatic enough by itself, I suspect that it's going to be a hard episode to watch when Claire, Hurley, and the rest of the castaways find out what happened to him. Especially Claire. She hasn't got Charlie's "Greatest Hits" list yet and she doesn't realize that he tucked his DS ring in the baby's crib. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to have something in my eye when all that plays out. Damn you man-tears!

We only have one more episode left of Season Three and I can attest to the quality of all 24 shows. The season turned out to be nothing short of a tour de force. Not only did it successfully redefine the entire show, it also got the storyline and characters back on track after a lackluster Season Two.

J.J. Abrams and his staff are incredible producers. Abrams' instinct for plot lines, dialogue, and character behavior go unmatched in Hollywood at this moment. He's currently producing and directing the new Star Trek movie, which means that movie is going to kick some serious ass. All of which gets me day-dreaming: could Abrams perchance be brought to the Dark Side? Force push Lucas out of the picture and revive the glory that is Star Wars? I can only marvel at the masterpiece Abrams would create using the that universe. But the only thing bigger than Star Wars canon is Lucas' ego, so I think the latter would have to die before anyone gets a crack at my most cherished movie franchise.

If you've never watched Lost, I can't recommend it enough. But don't start with Season Three. Go back to the beginning with Season One. You can watch all three season for free on www.abc.com, in HD no less if you've got the hardware. If you don't want to watch TV on your computer, then rent them from you DVD provider of choice. I haven't gotten a bum disc from Netflix in months and they're lightning quick with delivery.