Monday, March 17, 2008

30 Days of Night

What happens when a clutch of vampires descends on the isolated town of Barrow, Alaska just as it's about to plunge into 30 straight days of night? It's a question I never thought to ask, but 30 Days of Night manages to answer it in a very entertaining manner.

I'm not going to even hint about parts of the movie. Instead, I'll only comment that the movie is well-written, the pacing superb, the visuals stunning, and the ending satisfying. I used to get Josh Harnett confused with Chris O'Donnell; I chalked them both up as light-weight pretty-boys who could find no better work than chick flicks. I think the first movie I ever saw Harnett in was Pearl Harbor, a steaming pile of a movie that solidified my impression of him as nothing more than a pretty-boy. When Harnett teamed up with Harrison Ford for the miserable Hollywood Homicide, I thought his career over (Ford's career has been over for years, he just doesn't realize it yet).

But then Harnett made a bit appearance in one of my all-time favorite movies, Sin City, as a suave, ruthless assassin. I saw him in Black Dahlia, which wasn't a particularly noteworthy movie yet further impressed upon me that Harnett seemed to be pushing for edgier roles. After 30 Days of Night, I won't be confusing Harnett with O'Donnell anymore because he's fantastic in the role of the beleaguered sheriff trying to fend off thirsty, man-eating suckers of blood. He comes off as legitimately freaked out when he begins to realize the truth behind the strange events and (seemingly) random vandalism surrounding the town as the sun sets for a solid 30 days. Later, he shifts that panic into determined resignation. Even though I could see where the movie was headed, I enjoyed where his determination ultimately brought him.

By the way, the movie is based on the graphic novel of the same name. Steve Niles wrote that comic series, but he also wrote the movie's screenplay. I'm sure that had much to do with the movie's excellent pacing, dialogue, and plot development.