Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Mystery of Making a Difference

Every morning, my principal recruits two kids to help him do announcements. They generally help with the morning pledges, but they first introduce themselves. This morning, however, my principal deviated from the routine and asked the two boys, 2nd graders, what they wanted to be when they grew up.

The first little boy responded with an excellent, if not predictable, choice: policeman. The second little tike said, "librarian."

A librarian!

I actually broke out laughing when he said it! Not from derision or maliciousness, but genuine surprise and . . . joy I guess.

Afterwards, my principal told me in all the years he's taught and administrated, he's never had a student respond with that answer. Somewhere along the line, I made an impression on this little guy. I don't know how or in what way; I don't remember talking to him at all this past year. You get so wrapped up in the day-to-day details of the job, it's easy to lose sight of why you're there in the first place.

Today Josh gave me a welcome, unexpected reminder.