Monday, March 3, 2008

No TV for a Week

Yup, that's right. I can't watch TV until this Saturday.

At the earliest.

Yesterday, I went to turn on my 50" HD TV and lo and behold, it wouldn't power on. This occasionally happens, but unplugging it essentially reboots it, a technique that almost always works. Until yesterday.

After I plugged it back in, the TV did power up but froze on a random image. It then proceeded to reset every minute or so, a twenty to thirty second pause where the screen went black until it regained the signal. In addition, it didn't respond to Source remote control commands and didn't power off either.

So, it's majorly messed up.

Thankfully, I have an extended Best Buy warranty. I don't usually buy warranties since they almost always turn out to be a waste of money. But HD technology is new enough that I doubted my TV's long-term reliability. So, the earliest Best Buy can send a technician out is Saturday. And if he can't fix it on the spot, we could be going even longer without TV.

Perish the thought.