Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Boost Your Prose Strength Tycho

I love the dudes at Penny Arcade. I've got their site bookmarked and I faithfully revisit it Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The comic strip is awesome, though I view it as more icing on the cake compared to the wacky antics of their blog.

Still, Tycho occasionally yarns a string of prose that I can't for the life of me decipher. Most of the time, he comes in loud and clear. But other times, he's like a digital signal producing artifacts in my HD episode of Lost.

Take today's blog entry from Tycho, the very first paragraph:

We find ourselves at Continuity's dark door again, apologies all 'round, but when Gabe's exterminator rescheduled the comic essentially appeared out of thin air. Let me assure you on behalf of Penny Arcade and the global brands we represent (beneath the umbrella firms "Brazen" and "UltraLith Consumer Lures") that we will observe our creative impulses more keenly in the future. The problem is that continuity, in its dormant state, looks like inspiration.

The paragraph refers to their comic which in turn pokes fun of their exterminator (who allegedly confuses rats with babies and takes pride in the number of days that a baby hasn't been, err, exterminated. Sorry, but I lawl'd).

But the paragraph as a whole? I think Tycho is giving a tongue-in-cheek apology for the edginess of their latest animated effort, but I can't be completely certain because his play with syntax and synonyms borders on the brink of complete and total communication loss. That last sentence especially boggles the mind. I've read it over five times and I'm still not sure what he's trying to say.

I know it's his writing style and almost all the time it works beautifully. Every so often though, I leave the site wondering what the %$*& he meant.

It occurs to me that the problem may lie wholly with this reader and that Tycho comes in loud and clear to everyone all the time. If that's the case, would someone please email me and explain what the hell he's talking about today?

Mkay thanks.