Friday, September 19, 2008

My House Survived!

Not my real house. It made it through Ike just fine. I'm talking about my house just outside Bree in Lord of the Rings Online. I heard the siren call this past week and finally gave in and reactivated my account. I had been MMO free since early June. But LotRO has got its claws in me for some reason and I just couldn't resist coming back.

Housing in the game is a great feature. Not only do you get to deck out your yard and interior, it grants cheaper prices at the local store and a one hour cooldown hearth. Usually when you quit the game and your weekly upkeep runs out, the game moves the contents of your house to a special bank vault. After another couple of weeks, even that is eliminated. Last time I quit the game and came back, not only was my house forfeit, but all the cool stuff I had gathered was gone too. Turbine must have changed policy in recent months because today when I logged back in, I had an icon informing me I was locked out of my house. After I paid a 95 silver fee, I regained access. I took quick stock and everything was there, right down to my bear statue.

Woot!

I scanned the ranks of my guild and observed that many officers and members haven't played in weeks. I think currently operating MMOs have suffered population attrition across the board, as new MMOs are launched and gamers distribute themselves across numerous title options. I had not the urge to return to Age of Conan though. I did have mild pangs for World of Warcraft, but in the end, I wanted to play my dwarf minstrel more than I did my blood elf pally. And with Mines of Moria coming out in the coming months, I've got a lot to look forward to in this game I've come to love as much as one of my children.

Don't tell Wifezilla I wrote that.