Tuesday, September 16, 2008

We Survivied Ike!

The house was undamaged other than a fence I share with a neighbor. It was old, probably original to the house, its posts rotten at their base. It blew over into my side, nearly into the house. If one part had broken away, I might have had some siding damage.

Our roof is two years old and held up extremely well. Not even a shingle out of place. Our siding is a year old and looks immaculate. I toured a few blocks around my neighborhood and witnessed lots of downed trees. Most fell fortuitously, but a few plowed right into homes, tearing open roofs, smashing windows, and sawing off walls. I noticed that older roofing suffered shingle damage, while the new roofs fared better.

We just got power last night. It's trite to say, but you just don't realize how much you rely on electricity until you no longer have it. A cold front moved in Sunday night, pushing out the hot, muggy air and making life bearable even without air conditioning. Still, we're among the fortunate. As of Monday night, some 500,000 Houstonians have power, 1.7 million do not. Centerpoint energy is bracing the metro area with an estimate that some may not have power for three more weeks. Maybe longer.

School has been cancelled through Wednesday, at least for the district I work. They're assessing damage and will report tonight if further closing is necessary. Wifezilla is crawling the walls and wants school to start immediately. I think the snotbags and I are driving her crazy.

As for me, I plan on getting reacquainted with some old friends. I reinstalled Lord of the Rings Online and World of Warcraft and am contemplating which, if either, to play. I'm going to Gamestop in a little while to see if I can pick up my copy of Rock Band 2. I'm also downloading the demo for King's Bounty, the spiritual precursor to the Heroes of Might and Magic series. All in all, lots to keep me busy while I suffer Ike's aftermath.