Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dobbs on Country's Economic Woes

Lou Dobbs has an interesting article on CNN.com entitled, "Our leaders have squandered our wealth."

I have to admit, I am bothered by our country's borrowing habits. Wifezilla and I live relatively debt free. Yes, we have a mortgage, some student loans, and one home equity loan. We don't, however, have any credit card debt. For the most part we live within our means.

But the federal government does not. $9 trillion in debt is a number I can't even wrap my brain around. And there doesn't seem to be any political will to reduce that debt. In fact, I bet it's more likely that our political leaders have more plans in place to borrow additional money rather than pay any back.

If the U.S. government were an individual citizen, they would have long ago had to file for bankruptcy, had their credit pulled, had their assets seized, and been placed on probation until they proved some fiscal responsibility.

What's good for an average American is good for our government too.