Monday, January 21, 2008

Requim Dominates SSC

This past Friday night Requiem one-shotted all SSC bosses. Even Vashj! Sure, Vashj wasn't the cleanest of kills; I think there were around five raid members left standing when she finally fell. But for a third ever guild kill of Vashj, coming off 5/5 boss one-shots, it was an exciting and triumphant evening.

For Emanee especially. Of the two tier 5 pieces that Vashj dropped, both were the coveted Warrior/Priest/Druid. Miraculously, Emanee had enough points to win one of the tokens, which she turned in for the Hood of the Avatar. Her unbuffed spell damage is now an impressive and even 1100, just in time for the Mount Hygal and Black Temple encounters to come.

Enchanting and gemming Emanee's new head piece gave me my first experience with meta gems. I hadn't realized that the "meta" aspect of the gem's name meant it takes into account gem sockets throughout your equipped gear. I placed a Swift Starfire Diamond in the Hood of the Avatar, which means that I have to have two yellow gems and one red gem socketed somewhere in the rest of my gear. I was actually short the yellow gem, since I've been putting Runed Living Rubies in every socket I can. But +12 spell damage is nothing to ignore, so I placed a Potent Noble Topaz in my Leggings of the Avatar. Placing a yellow gem activated the leggings +2 spell damage bonus, which means I only lost 2 spell damage with the switch. More importantly, the yellow gem also activated the Hood of the Avatar's meta gem.

Emanee also slew A'lar while wearing the Ashtongue Cowl disguise. She's now ready for access to Mount Hygal and the chance to kill Rage Winterchill.