Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kerry Endorses Obama, NOT Edwards

CNN.com reports that John Kerry has officially endorsed Barack Obama, effectively giving the bird to his old running mate, John Edwards.

Actually, the article points out that the snub isn't surprising given that Edwards previously complained about how Kerry ran his failed presidential bid.

Once again, I find myself in the position of the jaded voter. None of the candidates strike me as worthy for the job they all compete. I don't question any of their desire to be president, just the notion that they'll actually do anything they promise in the course of being elected.

But someone has to get the job, so of the Democrats, I like John Edwards best. Since none of the candidates give specifics on how they would solve any national problem, I'm basing my support of Edwards on his demeanor and ability as a pubic speaker. Of all the candidates, I picture him best going toe-to-toe with any world leader. Now, that impression is a two-edged sword: he's fluent precisely because he's a trial lawyer. Edwards is good at debating and thinking quickly on his feet, but he's also expert at bending arguments and manipulating reality. After the debacle that was the Iraqi intelligence used to start the current war in Iraq, I'm looking for a bit more transparency in my next president, not more subterfuge. It's really a moot point since Obama and Clinton take turns beating him in primaries, but the nomination is still very much in the air so stranger things have happened than Edwards emerging on top.

Of the republicans, I like John McCain best. He makes me fall asleep when he talks, but of all the candidates, I believe him to have the most integrity. Would that make him a good president? I think so. But I just don't see him beating a Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton nomination. He seems very much a carryover from the previous generation, a factor that could damage his chances if the young wake up and vote. McCain has nearly been the lone defender of Bush's troop surge in Iraq, a policy change that has actually been working lately. He often turns out to be right about a great many issues, which exemplifies good judgement and sound reasoning. But again, I don't see him beating the younger, hipper candidates.

Speaking of whom, I'm not convinced Barack Obama is the next great thing in American politics. Yes, he speaks well and yes, he's a handsome, charming guy. But what has he actually done in his political career? His critics are quick to point out that he has a dismal voting record, meaning he's abstained on too many key voting decisions. We send these guys to Washington to work, to legislate, to create bills and laws to improve the country, not waffle and duck and hide in an effort to create a voting record that neither damns nor elevates them. Not only am I not sure Obama would make a good president, I plain just don't think he's earned it. Maybe a couple more sessions in the Senate, a few more stands on important votes, and Obama might seem fit to hold presidential power.