Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hurm

Rorschach could be the coolest superhero in all of comicdom. He definitely has the coolest one-liner of any superhero: hurm. I don't know why, but it cracks me up when he says it. It usually follows a monologue or conversation he doesn't approve of, a kind of mellow hrmp!, all the conviction with none of the emotion. I also like the wavy dialogue balloons Alan Moore uses for Rorschach. I noticed immediately that when Rorschach was in prison and maskless, the wavy balloon reverted to normal. When Nite Owl and that skank rescue him and he gets his costume back, the rumbling returns. Ah, pure genius.

Like most things I read and then analyze, I'm waaaay behind the relevant curve. This time, almost twenty-five years. Which surprises me because I was fifteen when The Watchmen came out. I wasn't collecting or even reading comics which I guess put me enough out of the loop that the graphic novel went completely past my consciousness. The novel's recent trailer in front of Batman has spurred renewed interest both from loyal fans and the rest of us who were in the dark. I can't fathom how they're going to summarize The Watchmen into a quality movie experience. I'm a huge fan of its movie type, namely Sin City and 300, so I'm ripe for disappointment.

But if all they do is get Rorschach right, it's all good.