Monday, August 4, 2008

Too Human Demo

I bought a Xbox 360 for Rock Band. I'm a PC man until the day the format ceases to exist. Which is predicted every year by some gaming pundit trying to make a name for himself. The PC apocalypse never seems to materialize. If anything thing, the more pundits that predict it, the better the PC industry does that year.

As a PC gamer, I'm adept at mouse and keyboard. Don't get me wrong; I don't tear it up on shooters, even on the PC. But the control scheme is second nature to me, so much so that I can pick up just about any game on the PC and immediately start playing it reasonably well.

The Xbox controller? Not so much.

Even so, I've heard some hype about the upcoming Xbox exclusive title, Too Human. It's billed as an action/RPG, the same description as the Diablo series, so I decided to download it and give it a spin. Suffice it to say, my clumsiness with the controller impedes my ability to judge the game. I imagine I looked like a monkey trying to use a TV remote and not getting the channel he wanted. The Discovery Channel, I'm sure.

I think I did make it to the end of the demo. I made it to a boss, at least. Skullcrusher was his name. He reminded me a bit of Void Reaver, though a raiding party at my back was conspicuously absent. I got Skull down to half health, but after that my sword blows were damageless. After I died a couple of times, I tried some new strategies. One in particular, running behind the steaming machine and jumping, proved the right track. A tiny cut scene depicted me jumping on top of Skull's head; I looked like a was riding a mechanical bull. But when I started to mash some buttons in an ignorant attempt to spring an attack, I slid off harmlessly instead. I eventually got bored and quit.

The game shows promise though. I doubt it's anything I'll pick up. About the only Xbox game I'm thinking of purchasing outside of Rock Band 2 is The Force Unleashed. And even then I'm going to wait for some reviews first.