Thursday, August 14, 2008

Incline Bench Press Unless . . .

When I strode into the gym today, I found some tool already "lifting" on my incline bench. Yes, mine. I made it clear to the gym owners that all gym equipment I use must be abandoned upon my entering the facilities. So I'll be having a talk with the manager later.

Since I couldn't start with incline, I loaded up a regular bench press. I've been focusing my free weight chest exercise exclusively with incline, so I haven't done regular bench since restarting my new regimen. I started with 135 and lifted it easily so I moved up to 155. I managed eight reps, though not effortlessly. Intrigued, I bumped up to 185. I did three reps, though I could have squeezed out more if I had a spotter. After that, the poser abandoned the incline press like he should have done when I first entered so I switched to that.

So that's pretty good progress. With a bit more iron pumping, I should be back to doing full reps with 185, which would in turn put my max at 210 plus. In the meantime though, I'm going to continue favoring incline over regular, at least until I'm happy with my upper chest and shoulder region.