Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Manastics

I don't usually watch the Olympics. Especially gymnastics. Most especially men doing gymnastics. But last night, I somehow got sucked into watching short, muscular boys gyrate on flexing poles and rigid bars. I blame Wifezilla since she enjoys Olympic spectating and cajoled me into watching with her.

Still, those bouncing and contorting men gymnasts have some skillz. I was especially impressed with the ring and high bar events. The rings involve lifting, twisting, and turning the body mostly through arm and upper body strength. I caught the Chinese gymnasts at this and was blown away with the raw strength the exhibited. The high bar too, raw power combined with intense concentration. Every time they let go of the bar to twist or somersault, I heard my breath catch. Good stuff even if it is a bit, uh, fruity. The American team came away with a bronze medal, finishing much higher than anyone had predicated.

I saw women gymnastics a couple of days before and was struck how frail and delicate they seemed. I don't mean just physically. One American screwed up her floor routine. She left the floor with tears in her eyes, only to be hugged and consoled over and over again by fellow teammates and coaches. I wondered if that was standard routine pampering or just a result of Olympic competition. Either way, I found it nauseating and commanded the TV camera to pan elsewhere to spare me the spectacle.

The dude gymnasts were waaaay cooler. They screwed up as often as the female counterparts, but took the failure with stoic silence. They'd come off the floor, exchange half-hearted high-fives, and then watch the next competitor. The women could learn from that.

We watched Phelps win two medals last night. That dude swam both events within an hour of each other which is completely mind-bottling; he had twenty minutes before his second event as he stood on the Olympic podium receiving his second gold medal. The United States is so strong in swimming, but the other swimmers are overshadowed by Phelps. I plan on tuning in tonight to watch more of Phelps.