Monday, August 4, 2008

Tropical Storm Edouard

A tropical storm, likely soon-to-be hurricane, currently storms its way slowly towards the Houston metro area as I write this. I've lived in Houston almost ten years and have never experienced a direct hit from a hurricane or tropical storm. Hurricane Rita doesn't count because we fled to Dallas and it veered to the east anyways.

I'm not explicitly worried. The brightly colored weather graphics from the local news show around 40 mph winds where I live. It's the flooding that could be problematic, though my suburb has excellent flood control. Tornadoes spawning from the main storm could also prove troublesome, but worrying about that is like fretting about getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

At the very least it should make for some exciting weather hereabouts. I just hope it's fun exciting and not the other kind.