Monday, October 22, 2007

Bad Movies In Disguise

I usually do a pretty good job of vetting movies, so it's not often I stop in the middle of watching one. But I just couldn't finish watching Transformers.

The movie started out strong. The opening scene of the military helicopter transforming and then rampaging an army base in Qatar was very cool. But the movie was only downhill from there. My eyes were glazing over by the time the Transformers were at LaBefouf's house trying to stay "hidden" while searching for some glasses. I don't know how, but the makers of the film managed to drag that scene out for what seemed like an eternity. I finally hit "stop" on the remote when a Transformer popped a nut out of his crotch and "peed" on a Sector 7 government agent. I think I might be about thirty years too old for this movie.

Surprisingly, Netflix is full of glowing user reviews of this steaming pile. Their praise reminds me of the same denial Star Wars fans went through at the release of Episode I.