Tuesday, October 16, 2007

IT FTL

The IT department in my school district just got done blocking access to my blog. And to my Google email. They already searched high and low for every gaming related site on the planet and rendered them inaccessible. Actually, I think they started by blocking access to everything and then added access to the one or two websites they deem educationally valuable.

It's their network so they can block anything they want to. And I understand the motivation: get their employees off discretionary web-browsing and focused on their job, not to mention protecting students from objectionable content. At times though, it seems heavy-handed to me, especially when you want to take your lunch break to browse some gaming sites, check your personal mail real fast, or update a blog posting. We are, after all, in the midst of the Information Age and being cut-off from the rest of the world for eight hour blocks can seem an eternity.

EDIT: Strange, I have occasional access to Gmail and my blog. Must be a glitch in their filter software.