Tuesday, November 25, 2008

24: Redemption

We finished 24: Redemption last night, a special two hour movie event previewing the upcoming official season of 24. I hated the last season of the series, despite the fact that nuclear weapons were detonating within American cities. That should have made for riveting action and drama, but it somehow didn’t. I blame mostly the writing team, but I’m also growing weary of Sutherland and his acting. He has three modes: rage, torture, and remorse. Keifer doesn’t explore nuance with any of these facets and though that worked for the first few seasons of the series, it’s become tired and trite. Keifer and the writing team need to explore another path for this character, or this impending season will likely suck as bad as the last.

24: Redemption was a good start. There’s a hint of the guilt-ridden action hero, of course, but Africa was a good choice of settings and the action was top notch. I never get tired of watching Jack gun through armies of machinegun-toting bad guys with nothing but a 9mm and catlike reflexes.

I’m not so thrilled about the actress they got to play the new president of the United States. I’ve only seen her in a handful of scenes and she’s already annoying me. She has big shoes to fill to be sure; I doubt anyone will top the dude that played Palmer in the first couple of seasons.

The new season of 24 begins in January, along with the season premiere of Lost. Could be some good television down the pike.