Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I voted this morning. It was a good feeling, mostly because I did so not purely out of civic duty, but because I felt a moral and ethic need. Our government has been badly managed this last decade. Our politicians did the damage, but we're the electorate that voted them into office. The recent financial crisis has reminded me how important it is to stay abreast of national politics, vote for candidates based on issues (rather than style or my favorite issue, "family values"), and then hold them accountable.

Immediately after voting, I went and worked out. An "I Voted" sticker clearly affixed to my jersey, the girl attending the front desk smiled at me and cheerfully asked who I voted for. When I told her Obama, her smile deflated and she responded with a quiet, "oh." I grinned back and then went about the merry business of moving heavy weights small distances in short, controlled bursts. I'm not sure why I so enjoyed crushing her informal morning polling. But I did.

I'll tell you, I voted for Obama more for what he stood for than I did as a vote against McCain or the Republican party. Too much of my voting in recent years has been a vengeful reaction to whomever was formally in power. I don't think Obama completely leveled with us about how he's going to manage $10 trillion in debt and still give 95% of Americans a tax cut. But I do think he stands a greater chance of changing things for the better in the United States than McCain. I also want our troops out of Iraq, post haste. My sense is the Iraq government has been dragging its feet in governing, instead letting our American troops perform the bulk of the work. We ought never have been there in the first place and $10 billion a month is too steep a price tag to justify our current presence there.

I didn't vote straight Democrat, however. I voted for John Culberson for the Texas seat in the House of Representatives. John voted twice against the bailout bill and I respect that immensely. He also favors scrapping or overhauling No Child Left Behind, another position I support. For U.S. Senate, I also voted for John Cornyn. I don't know much about Cornyn's positions, but I will in the coming months if he wins reelection.

Did you vote? If you did, nice work. You now have earned the right to bitch and complain about future issues. If you didn't, then take a seat and STFU. No vote, no voice. If you couldn't take the time to stand in a line (I've stood in longer movie lines), then no one has the time to listen to your unrepresented opinions.

So get out and vote! You have the entire day today to sneak out of work and get it done. Yes, go vote! Even if it's for McCain and his VPILF! McCain is a fine man and I respect anyone who votes for him and can articulate at least one reason why they're doing so, beyond "Um, he's a Republican."