Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Flamer

I’m talking about my flamethrower in Fallout 3, not a whacky dandy like Andy Dick. I’m thick of head at times and it took me longer than it should have to realize that small arms don’t work all that well against giant radscorpions or deathclaws; their thick hides must provide the kind of natural armor that small arms munitions hit and then bounce away.

The flamer though, burns through giant radscorpions like butter in a microwave. As the beastie approaches, I start to backtrack. When it’s in close range, I open up the flamer’s nozzle and unleash a veritable hell. With small arms, I rarely got a giant radscorpion to half health before it closed and started to eat me. With my new friend the flamer, I usually go completely unscathed.

It works great on deathclaws too. They’re too fast to totally avoid taking damage from their . . . um, claws of death, but I don’t get my ass kicked nearly as bad as I used to wielding a combat shotgun or Chinese assault rifle.

Even better, I haven’t been using my flamer at all till last night. I’ve accrued more than a 1,000 units of fuel as a result. Needless to say, I’ll be packing this heavy weapon with me wherever I go.