Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President-elect Barack Obama

I stayed up late last night watching the election results. Once it became evident that Obama won the nomination, I stayed up even longer to hear McCain give his concession speech, the president-elect his victory.

I thought McCain gave a moving, conciliatory speech when he conceded defeat. I was struck by how sincere a speaker he can be when he’s himself. In giving Obama his sympathies for the recent death of his grandmother, I witnessed a flash of the “real” John McCain. If he conducted himself as he did last night throughout his entire campaign, he might have come closer to winning. I’m always struck by the chameleon nature of our politicians; one minute they savage each other, the next they graciously vow to follow. It’s a puzzling component of American politics, but one that suffers the transition of power patriotically; differences set aside to form a unified front.

I was equally moved by Obama’s speech. I was curious what kind of chord he would strike in speaking victoriously to that massive crowd in Grant Park. Obama so effectively diminished the issue of his race while running for president, I was blindsided by the media suddenly talking about how historic his election is. I had, in these last weeks of the campaign, forgotten that Obama is black. Thousands of other hadn’t though. By the tears of joy on so many faces, I can only imagine how they feel. I share their joy, even as a 38 year old white guy.

I was relieved and inspired by what president-elect Obama said in his celebratory speech. He hinted at the history he made, but was quick to give the credit for its inception to others. I believe him when he says he will bring the two parties together to solve our nation’s problems. I think nearly all Americans are hungry for this development. We don’t just deserve a government that functions well, we desperately need it. I sense America’s power fading. Only strong leadership can reverse the trend.

I grant Americans these next few days to celebrate. But after that, it will be time for president-elect Obama to roll up his shirt sleeves and get to work. He promised much. Perhaps too much in the context of our country’s current economic climate. If President Obama does only half of what he outlined in his campaign, I’ll continue praising and supporting him. If he accomplishes little to nothing, I’ll broodingly regret voting for him. And if he flat-out bungles things, makes things even worse, I’ll despair and perhaps give up on our political system entirely.

So much rides on Obama successfully leading us. If he fails, we’re in big trouble. Not only do our problems remain unsolved, but Americans risk losing a newfound interest and energy in the political process. If he succeeds, the country will rebound stronger than ever.

And so will democracy.