Monday, November 3, 2008

The Thomsons hit the Texas Renaissance Festival yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful Houston fall day, with temperatures around 80 degrees. Very pleasant if you sought shade.

We attended with a cadre of friends. One couple in particular attends every year in costume. Jeff wore a black leather vest and pants, complete with black-sheathed dagger and pouch. Megan wore authentic dress. I can’t give its name justice, but the outfit looked regal, if not blazing warm in the sun. The pair fit right in with the other crowds of costumed folks. In fact, they looked down right tame compared to what some people wore. I’m thinking in particular of some chain mail bikini clad women whose linked chains hid little underneath. Maximum nippage!

I think I want to start wearing a costume myself. Nothing too crazy. Maybe a blue and green plaid kilt, with a white top and some appropriate foot and sock ware. It’d be cool to walk around the grounds with a broad sword strapped to my back. If I start buying the pieces now, I could have a solid costume put together in a few years.

Wifezilla ate some great food yesterday. We started with a gyro in the Greek quarter. We bought the girls steak on a stick and a stalk of corn on the cob in the French section; Claire didn’t like the spices on the steak, so Hallie and I ate most of that. Melanie downed most of the cob. Come to think of it, I wonder if Hallie and Claire got properly fed that day. Seems unlikely. I also tasted some guy's warm nuts. He was offering them to everyone that past by, be they man or woman. I sampled almonds but ultimately bought the cashews.

I’m looking forward to maybe hitting the Dallas Festival in the spring. That will hinge on my brother, as I doubt we’d go by ourselves.